Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Une Bonne Continuation

It's Wednesday and I'm finally getting around to a new post.  This probably still would not be happening (because I'd be studying and yoga-ing at school) except that it's Armistice Day, so school is cancelled and most people aren't at work.

Somewhat fittingly, I saw Inglorious Basterds last night.  I think that was my first Tarantino-directed film (!) and I found it quite enjoyable (and also quite gory, of course...).  Brad Pitt and Christopher Waltz (Hans Landa) were amazing!
I also saw two French films last week, Les Herbes Folles and Le Petit Nicolas.  Le Petit Nicolas is the movie version of the popular French children's stories written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempé.  I think Nicolas is the equivalent of our Eloise.  Anyway you can't go into any school supply store without seeing him all over the children's notebooks, etc.  The movie was so cute!  The stories were all new to me, of course, so I was lol-ing pretty much the whole time.  If that movie happens to come to the States, or if it goes on Netflix someday, I recommend it for some good laughs!

I finally made it to the Louvre last week!  You can see a few pictures starting on page 4 of this album (click here).  I went alone, because I prefer going to museums alone.  Later that day my friend Josh said that he doesn't like going to museums alone because then you have no one to talk about the art with, therefore you don't appreciate the art as much.  What do you think?
Admittedly, I know next to nothing about art, so in a museum as huge and intimidating as the Louvre, I relied partially on my guide book to tell me which are the not-to-be-missed pieces.  Ironically, two of them - The Astronomer and Le Tricheur - are on loan to a museum in Minneapolis!  Paris to Minneapolis: if I were The Astronomer, I'd consider that a downgrade.  But they'll be back at the Louvre in January, as will I...
For most of my visit, I was on the top floor (4 or 5?), so as I walked around, I found fabulous views of all parts of the city, as well as a literally breathtaking sunset (the pictures don't really capture it, but you can have a look).



On another promenade last week, I made stops at the Holocaust memorial on Ile-de-la-Cité,  and Notre Dame (finally!).  The memorial is an artistic, cell-like structure filled with references to the triangles that Jews had to wear to identify themselves and with quotes etched into the stone walls.  I visited on a rainy, overcast day which only contributed to the sobering experience of going there.  Notre Dame is Notre Dame, huge and touristy.  I find the history just as impressive as the structure itself; it was once the site of a Roman temple to Jupiter, used for marriage ceremonies of French royalty, the site of Joan of Arc's heresy trial in 1455, renamed the Temple of Reason by revolutionaries, and was actually used to shelter livestock in the early 1800s, until Hugo's novel came out and brought ol' ND back into the public eye.  De Gaulle and Mitterand's funeral masses were held here.  There are a few pictures on page 3 of this album, as well as pictures from last Friday on page 5: Friday was kind of sunny, so I went back (with Claire and Dominika) to make the 422-step climb up the towers.

The weekend flew by thanks to a walk down Champs Elysées with my Austrian friend Sandra, another dinner at the apartment (at which Athina made another appearance),

a trip to the Musée d'Orsay with Parvine,

 a tennis match at Parc Bercy,

and a Chopin concert at St. Julien le Pauvre.


Other recent developments are work- and volunteer-related:  I "taught" my first English lessons Monday night to two boys (13 and 16) who live just down the street - found this job thanks to flyers I put up in the quartier a few weeks ago.  When I first wrote the flyer, I tried to use a French translation of the word "tutor" to convey what I had in mind.  I asked Laurence to proofread my flyer and, little by little, she reworded the entire thing, so in the end the announcement offered my services as an american student who "gives english courses" since there actually isn't a French word for tutor.  This made me more than a little nervous since I am by no means qualified or prepared to teach actual English lessons.  It seems to have worked out, though; the boys already take English lessons at school, so it looks like I will just be helping them with their homework, conversation, and pronunciation.  My very first French class almost 2 years ago was firmly rooted in conversation and I think in most cases it's the most efficient way to learn.  Especially when you're dealing with two languages as phonetically different as English and French, it's good to just get the words in your mouth.
Today I'll be starting work with another family who I'll see 4-6 hours a week.  They have three daughters; 5,8, and 10, and the girls totally blew me away with their English last time I was at the house.  It helps that the family lived in London for 3 years, so the 10 year old especially benefitted from that.  They go some American school here once a week and whatever they do over there, it's working.  The parents just want me to keep them talking in English.
In a couple weeks I'll start volunteer work for AFEV, an organization here that helps under-privileged children.  I'll be giving once-a-week workshops with one or two other volunteers to kids living in the Cité Rouge, the Parisian version of a "project" (although it's probably nicer and safer than whatever you're imagining right now).  We talked about giving workshops on the history of the Cité Rouge, dance, yoga, America (that would be me), and some other topics that the kids can help choose.  Of course, I'm nervous about my French level, since kids use so much slang and speak so quickly, but I'm hoping it will be a learning experience for all involved.

I guess that's it for now.  The weeks are flying by and I'm really excited for my upcoming Madrid and Strasbourg/Stuttgart trips.  But before that, I've gotta get through the first round of exams.  Wish me luck!

xoxo,
Alina :)

3 comments:

  1. alina marie!
    beautiful post. and a beautiful setting for chopin! l love going to movies and museums with someone, but i also like going alone. when i am alone and find something extraordinary it is nice to return with people and watch their faces. good luck on the exams (like you will need luck, but good luck nonetheless). je t'aime, ton papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alina, Thank you for the beautiful photos - "you look fabulous dahling..." on your shopping trip (at at all other times! Athina looks like a sweet little girl, so glad you're gtting to spend a little time with the little one! The photos of the Louvre are fantastic, you show how huge a place it is, and how lovely. I especially like your caption...the one of you looking out the window each morning scanning the skies for Mr. Sun(!) . ... I will be watching out from here as well - I check Paris weather each day in the Houston Chronicle. Love Mere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needless to say I love reading your blog! We look forward to it! Thanks again for sharing!!Love Mom

    ReplyDelete