Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Soldes, Opera, Champagne...sounds like Paris.


Buongiorno!

Today's listening (probably best to copy into a new window so you don't lose this page!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBW5a77wINQ

When we left off I was eagerly awaiting les soldes, the big twice-annual government-regulated sales.  They last 5 weeks around January/February and another 5 weeks in June/July.  Other than that, stores are allowed to have major sales two weeks a year, as long as those sales aren't too close to the big "fixed" ones.  There are also exemptions for certain "touristic or border" zones.  All part of the "law of the modernization of the economy".  Do we have laws regulating sales in the US?
Anyway, just a *few* euros poorer and sitting next to a much more diversified wardrobe, here I am!  Love ya, France!

On Thursday I got to sit in on a rehearsal of Bellini's Norma at the Théâtre du Châtelet.  It definitely brought me back to my singing days, especially those spent at HGO - good to know that the location of the stage doesn't affect the freneticism of the rehearsal! - and was a good little reminder of the artistic life of this city which I haven't yet fully exploited.  Let's just say lots of websites have been checked and dates have been marked since that little awakening.

In other news, I'll be traveling to Berlin and Prague from January 28th to February 2nd.  Just one more blog post between now and then!

Here's one for you:  yesterday my French Literature and Politics professor served us champagne in class to ring in the New Year right.  I guess it's a little late, but...it's champagne...in class...!  Oh, France.  What will I do without you next year?

Later that day I was "teaching English" (slash-babysitting) when Justine, the 10-year-old, came home looking particularly satisfied.  "Today a boy at school asked me out," she confessed within approximately 3.4 seconds of walking in the door.  For the very practical 8-year-old Fanny, the next step was obvious: "Well...where will you go?"

That's a good question.  Nonetheless let us all be happy for Justine!

See you next week,
Alina :)

PS.  Here's the link to my Promenades Album -- click to the end for pics of today's excursion to Parc Bercy!

3 comments:

  1. i want to see pictures of your findings at les soldes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Papa:
    Alina Marie:
    Soooooooooo nice to see you dressed so warmly! Love the long coat. Wonderful photos, as usual.
    Thanks for the update----------papa-----------

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see your purchases also! Mom

    ReplyDelete