Thursday, February 18, 2010

Birthday # 1, busyness

Pompidou Center 7 Feb 2010

Sign that you haven't lived in the US for a while:

You call your bank in the States; the teller asks for your social security number for "security reasons," just like they always do.  The question shocks you and a wave of panic ensues before you are able to reach back far enough into your brain to prove that you are you.  Whew!  Close one.
--
We celebrated my birthday (early) at the apartment on Saturday evening.  Laurence invited all the usual suspects, and in the end the attendees were myself, Laurence, Camille, Maurice, Hélène (Laurence's daughter), Jean-Phillip (her husband), Athina (their daughter), David (Laurence's son), Guillaume (Laurence's nephew), Sylvie (his wife), Adelaide (their daughter), Bertrand, and Eric (Laurence's nephews).  The lasagna dinner was relatively simple but delicious as always and of course followed by salad, then the cheeses.  Champagne, wine, and Hurricane cocktails (a gift from last year's American) flowed freely and we enjoyed not one but TWO chocolate cakes (Camille and Hélène had a bake-off) then the coffee as usual.  Once we get to the table at these dinners everything becomes Maurice's responsibility and there are times when he clearly wishes this was not the case.  At the end of the dinner he asked who wanted coffee and at least 8 hands went up.  "Alright, who wants a decaf?" 3 hands.  "I'll do the decafs."  Good thing I was one of those hands! (Maurice also *happens* to drink decaf.)
Guillaume and Sylvie brought Laurence and me beautiful rose bouquets, and I also received tulips from Eric and Bertrand.  Other gifts included a purse from Laurence (which is, as Maurice pointed out, for girly girls, a title I've never bestowed upon myself but is a concensus people come to no matter where I live), a book (in French) of Paris's covered passages which will be useful for rainy days, a body scrub (L'Occitane en Provence, duh), and FRENCH (not English) breakfast tea from Mariage Frères.

The evening was definitely a success, although I am still intimidated in those group social situations.  Being the guest of honor probably added a bit of pressure, too.  But the family is so lovely that I'm already looking forward to celebrating Camille's birthday with them in April.  In other news, he's started working towards his driving license.  Learning to drive in Paris, wow.  Just...wow.  Et bon courage!

Luxembourg Gardens - sun and snow! - 14 Feb. 2010

On Sunday Anja and I went to check out a marionettes show in the Luxembourg Gardens.    We were among very few child-less adults there, but it was my first marionette show in France, possibly my first ever, and I loved it.  The plot was less-than-enthralling, but hearing the marionettes use all those classic French expressions and hearing all the kids react was - oh no! this word is infiltrating my blog posts these days - ADORABLE!!      


Other than that, just a busybusybusy week.  I'm currently working on leasing a house in Austin with my friend Colleen next year; I also orchestrated the rental of an apartment for my parents when they come here in April, scholarship (application) season is here again, and when I'm not doing those things, there's always that thing called school to occupy my time.  BUT my friend Laura, who's currently studying in Italy, is coming in tomorrow for the weekend :)  After she leaves it's officially my birthday week (Thursday being the day), THEN on the 27th I fly to Ireland to see Shannon, Galway, and Dublin (where my friend Vicky is studying).  I get back Thursday the 4th and my friend Allison comes for a week on the 6th.  Whew!
At this time next week I'll be partying with the Italians and company, so I can't promise you a post before Ireland, or the next Thursday when I'll be on my way back to Paris, or the Thursday after when Allison is here...but at some point, I'll be in touch.  Guess I'd better get strapped in, the semester appears to be taking off.

xoxo
Alina :)

PS.  Click here for my second Promenades album, which includes Pantheon photos.  I guess you also know you've been living in Paris a while when the Pantheon takes a backseat to everything else in your blog post.
This album has more Pompidou photos and a couple more from my birthday.

4 comments:

  1. who won the bake-off?

    You look lovely in the picture and yes, I would also probably call you a girly-girl, or at least not not call you one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Alina, you are quite girly (and a wonderful one at that!) ...the 7 year old in the only pink shorts on the soccer field was just one early confirmation! Love you! Mom
    Hope you're having a great weekend with Laura! Please give her our love and best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo girly-girl:
    Please thank Laurence from us for being such a great landlady! I am sure that after this year you will always feel you have two families. Merveilleux! Thanks for the update and all the great photos. Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey look! im reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete